Conservative Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Kalutaliksuak Kalutaliksuak (2007) Lossless
Nutrition bill  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:51 pm by 

» The Secret Of Roan Inish (1994)
Nutrition bill  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 pm by 

» Scripture of the week
Nutrition bill  EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 4:16 am by Brianman

» Nutrition bill
Nutrition bill  EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:16 am by Brianman

» Election 2012
Nutrition bill  EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:01 am by JFK Dem

» Health care reform rejected by federal judge
Nutrition bill  EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 pm by JFK Dem

» Information about the board
Nutrition bill  EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:50 am by Brianman

» Democrats voted against Obama's tax cut compromise
Nutrition bill  EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:43 am by Brianman

» Trying to figure out how to connect this to facebook
Nutrition bill  EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 10:53 am by Brianman

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Nutrition bill

3 posters

Go down

Nutrition bill  Empty Nutrition bill

Post  JoJo Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Obama says the nutrition bill is vital to children.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is signing into law legislation to provide more lunches and dinners to school children and make those meals healthier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101213/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_child_nutrition

Get out of our refrigerators.
JoJo
JoJo

Back to top Go down

Nutrition bill  Empty Re: Nutrition bill

Post  Brianman Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:46 am

JoJo wrote:Obama says the nutrition bill is vital to children.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is signing into law legislation to provide more lunches and dinners to school children and make those meals healthier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101213/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_child_nutrition

Get out of our refrigerators.

This one actually doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Brianman
Brianman
Admin

Bio
Test: testing

https://conservative.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Dem Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Brianman wrote:

Agreed. Government scientists, with no commercial vested interest in making food "flavorful" (with nitrites and MSG and corn syrup) or "fun" (by packaging sugary treats into "fun size" or inventing happy characters like Tony the Tiger and Little Debbie to engender early-onset diabetes, or including cheap lead-based toys with cholesterol laden "fast foods") actually know better how to feed the nation's children than their own willfully ignorant parents do. Unfortunately, only the force of law (short of actually taking custody of the kids, which would set off the gun nuts and militia types) will get parents to feed their kids properly, or permit the State to do it with expanded school meal programs.

I sometimes wonder whether the Capitalists behind the "food" industry are actively trying to reduce the population to two or three million serfs by causing infertility and early death.

JFK Dem

Back to top Go down

Post  Brianman Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:01 am

JFK Dem wrote:
Brianman wrote:

Agreed. Government scientists, with no commercial vested interest in making food "flavorful" (with nitrites and MSG and corn syrup) or "fun" (by packaging sugary treats into "fun size" or inventing happy characters like Tony the Tiger and Little Debbie to engender early-onset diabetes, or including cheap lead-based toys with cholesterol laden "fast foods") actually know better how to feed the nation's children than their own willfully ignorant parents do. Unfortunately, only the force of law (short of actually taking custody of the kids, which would set off the gun nuts and militia types) will get parents to feed their kids properly, or permit the State to do it with expanded school meal programs.

I sometimes wonder whether the Capitalists behind the "food" industry are actively trying to reduce the population to two or three million serfs by causing infertility and early death.

Hang on jfk. I thought it was just for school lunches? Are they trying to force parents into feeding kids healthier too? Neutral
Brianman
Brianman
Admin

Bio

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Dem Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:06 am

From the yahoo.com article:

"President Barack Obama is signing into law legislation to provide more lunches and dinners to school children and make those meals healthier.

"The $4.5 billion measure would expand free school meals for the needy and give the government the power to decide what kinds of foods may be sold in schools."

Emphases added. In-school breakfasts are pretty common as well, though I think that doesn't get reported much because the Conservatives would get all grumpy about feeding children who otherwise would go hungry, which makes no sense to me.

(I wonder too about providing occasional sleepovers to certain children, whether because they are homeless or live in substandard housing-- trailer trash in embryo, if you will. But don't worry...I haven't seen that proposed legislatively.)

JFK Dem

Back to top Go down

Post  Brianman Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 am

JFK Dem wrote:From the yahoo.com article:

"President Barack Obama is signing into law legislation to provide more lunches and dinners to school children and make those meals healthier.

"The $4.5 billion measure would expand free school meals for the needy and give the government the power to decide what kinds of foods may be sold in schools."

Emphases added. In-school breakfasts are pretty common as well, though I think that doesn't get reported much because the Conservatives would get all grumpy about feeding children who otherwise would go hungry, which makes no sense to me.

(I wonder too about providing occasional sleepovers to certain children, whether because they are homeless or live in substandard housing-- trailer trash in embryo, if you will. But don't worry...I haven't seen that proposed legislatively.)

So, they're just wanting to provide more healthier food to children at schools? Well, that sounds like a good idea to me. For a second I thought you were saying they were trying to force parents to feed children healthy food. That would be unconstitutional. But, feeding children healthier food in public schools is a great idea. I won't disagree with that.
Brianman
Brianman
Admin

Bio

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Dem Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:08 am

Brianman wrote:For a second I thought you were saying they were trying to force parents to feed children healthy food.

I don't think the public is ready for that, yet. Some people on your side of the debate regard free or reduced-cost school meals to be an unwelcome infringement, abrogation, or usurpation of parental rights and responsibilities, particularly if it's not "means-tested". I guess some parents, fully capable of providing government-approved nutritious meals, prefer to send the younguns off with no breakfast and a bologna or PB&J sandwich and a Twinkie for "lunch". The parental rights of such people should be taken away, but the public isn't ready for that yet, either.

JFK Dem

Back to top Go down

Post  Brianman Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:16 am

JFK Dem wrote:
Brianman wrote:For a second I thought you were saying they were trying to force parents to feed children healthy food.

I don't think the public is ready for that, yet. Some people on your side of the debate regard free or reduced-cost school meals to be an unwelcome infringement, abrogation, or usurpation of parental rights and responsibilities, particularly if it's not "means-tested". I guess some parents, fully capable of providing government-approved nutritious meals, prefer to send the younguns off with no breakfast and a bologna or PB&J sandwich and a Twinkie for "lunch". The parental rights of such people should be taken away, but the public isn't ready for that yet, either.

I don't see any problem with providing children healthy school meals. However, telling parents what they can and can't provide their children to eat is over the line. 1. It's unconstitutional and 2. It's a bit communist

I agree with you that parents should not feed their kids unhealthy food. I just don't think the federal government should have the power to say that. That should probably be something each state should decide
Brianman
Brianman
Admin

Bio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: